I actually finished this book awhile ago but with summer school starting I haven't had a chance to write about it. I absolutely loved reading this book again. It's one of my favorite books of all time. Just an incredible story with an important message. Reading it makes me want to watch the movie again! Luckily my mom has it so I know what I'll be doing next time I visit the parents! :)
Title: To Kill a Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
My Synopsis: I am going to leave a lot out because this story is long, complex and wonderful and I don't want to bore you with a super long summary. Basically the story is told through the eyes of a young girl named Scout over several years of her childhood. Her dad, Atticus, is a lawyer in the town of Maycomb, Alabama. Scout, her brother, Jem and their friend Dill (who visits during the summers) become interested in their neighbor Boo Radley who never leaves his home. A lot of the book involves their attempts to get a look at Boo and his interactions with them (leaving gifts in a tree hole, putting a blanket on Scout when she is cold outside) although they never see him.
Atticus decides to take on a case defending a black man, Tom, who is accused of raping a white woman, Mayella Ewell (the daughter of Bob Ewell). Scout and Jem soon feel the effects of the town's dislike for this decision. During the case, Atticus provides a lot of evidence that makes it clear Tom is innocent yet he is still found guilty by the jury. Before Atticus can get an appeal, Tom tries to escape jail and is shot to death. At the end of the book, Jem and Scout are walking home in the dark after a town festival and they are attacked by someone. Jem is knocked unconscious and carried home by a mysterious person that saved them. Scout follows them home to find that it was Boo Radley. Scout learns that Bob Ewell was the one who attacked them as he was still upset with Atticus for defending Tom. The sheriff finds Bob dead from a knife wound and the sheriff declares that Bob fell on his own knife, even though Boo most likely stabbed him. Scout and Boo sit on the porch for a bit and then she walks Boo home.
Atticus decides to take on a case defending a black man, Tom, who is accused of raping a white woman, Mayella Ewell (the daughter of Bob Ewell). Scout and Jem soon feel the effects of the town's dislike for this decision. During the case, Atticus provides a lot of evidence that makes it clear Tom is innocent yet he is still found guilty by the jury. Before Atticus can get an appeal, Tom tries to escape jail and is shot to death. At the end of the book, Jem and Scout are walking home in the dark after a town festival and they are attacked by someone. Jem is knocked unconscious and carried home by a mysterious person that saved them. Scout follows them home to find that it was Boo Radley. Scout learns that Bob Ewell was the one who attacked them as he was still upset with Atticus for defending Tom. The sheriff finds Bob dead from a knife wound and the sheriff declares that Bob fell on his own knife, even though Boo most likely stabbed him. Scout and Boo sit on the porch for a bit and then she walks Boo home.
Favorite Character(s): Hands down, it's Atticus. What an amazing father, an amazing human being, really. If these characters were real, I have no doubt that both Scout and Jem would grow up to be amazing people because of their father. He is such a wonderful role model in that he is patient, caring and loving. He doesn't let prejudice or anger rule his life. And I just love his relationship with Scout. He is a loving and lets her be who she wants to be. And everything he says is just pure wisdom; almost all my favorite quotes are from him! If you haven't seen the movie, check it out! Gregory Peck plays him and he is incredible!
Least Favorite Character(s): Bob Ewell is just a horrible man. I was not at all upset that he died. It was evident that he abused his children and failed to provide them with a safe home. And the idea that a man would attack children to get back at someone is just despicable. I just can't even fathom the cowardice in that. Thank goodness for Boo! Oh, and my other least favorite character, although she had a minor role, was Miss Caroline, Scout's first teacher. She basically gets on to Scout for being able to read and write. Really?? I jump for joy when that happens! She won't listen to her students and is absolutely clueless on how to teach. I know it's just a book, but man, she bugged me!
Favorite Quote(s):
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."
“They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”
"Mockingbirds don’t do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corn cribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.”
“I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.”
“We’re so rarely called on to be Christians, but when we are, we’ve got men like Atticus to go for us.”
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."
“They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”
"Mockingbirds don’t do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corn cribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.”
“I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.”
“We’re so rarely called on to be Christians, but when we are, we’ve got men like Atticus to go for us.”





No comments:
Post a Comment