Sunday, January 1, 2012

So long, 2011! Hello 2012!

I can hardly believe it, but 2012 has arrived! 2011 was a very hard year for my family so I'm hoping 2012 will bring a lot of peace and comfort to us. 2011 did show me, once again, how truly amazing my family is and the strength of each person in it. I look forward to growing closer to my amazing family in 2012!

Now, I know some people aren't big fans of New Year's resolutions, but I AM! :) I love getting a chance to start over and look forward to the year ahead. Yes, most of the time I don't "achieve" the goals I set, but I think the process and journey is more important than the actual achievement. This year I wanted to do something different though - kind of a combination of what I did with the Spiritual disciplines (working on one a month) and what Gretchen Rubin did in her book The Happiness Project. I'm going to take 12 resolutions and focus on one each month of the year. My goal is not to "master" each resolution, but focus on it and hopefully create a lifestyle change in myself. Of course, I hope to achieve the lose 25 pounds goal, but we'll see what happens. ;-)

I have three main goals: Get Healthy. Get Creative. Seek God, and not the world. After my best friend got married in August of last year, I moved into an apartment by myself. I absolutely LOVE it, but it was also incredibly difficult. I missed her like crazy and I just missed having someone there when I got home. Plus, it helped me be accountable in my eating habits (I gained about 20 pounds from August until now). I can't rely on someone else to keep myself healthy and happy so I'm really trying to learn better habits this year. I'm excited to get started! Here are my 12 goals:

Jan - Fitness - I want to exercise regularly, at least 4 times a week.
Feb - Food - I want to eat healthy foods and lose 25 pounds in 2012.
Mar - Sleep - I want to have a regular sleep pattern and get 7-8 hours each night.
Apr - De-Clutter - I want to remove all the excess clutter from my apartment.
May - Nature - I want to spend more time outside and GET OFF THE COUCH!
June - Media Fast - I want to take time away from the TV, Computer, iphone and spend more time in books, prayer and with God.
July - Cooking - I want to cook more for myself, at least 3-4 times a week.
Aug - Shopping Fast - I want to stop shopping for things I don't need and use that money more wisely.
Sept - Crafts - I want to explore my creative side and get crafty! (Hello pinterest!)
Oct - Music - I want to get back into playing piano and guitar. (my keyboard is mighty dusty!)
Nov - Writing - I want to journal every day and write a novel for NaNoWriMo.
Dec - Books - I want to read 100 books in 2012 (this will be an on-going goal, not just for Dec.).

I'm looking forward to what 2012 brings! Happy New Year everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. great resolutions and goals for the year, kim! this has encouraged me to "write down" my goals for the year as well!! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete