Sunday, January 16, 2011

Study

Well, I meant to update this a few weeks ago, but life and procrastination got in the way! Oh well, better late than never I say! :) I also made a slight mistake in going to study next. I thought it was the final outward discipline, but in fact, it is an inward discipline. So I am taking a different course than I intended!

This month is all about the discipline of study. I have a love/hate relationship with studying. Throughout school I was always an excellent student and I loved to learn. I was a nerd (I admit it proudly) and I was always excited about school. However, I was also a huge procrastinator. I was one of those people who waited until the day before a huge exam or a huge paper and stayed up reeeeally late to do it. My lowest moment was finals week of my senior year of college in the fall semester. I was super sick and had a ton to do. I had so much that I did not one, but TWO all-nighters. YUCK! I survived though. I worked well under pressure, I suppose.

I enjoyed reading about study. Foster writes that the purpose of these disciplines is the "total transformation of the person. The aim at replacing old destructive habits of thoughts with new life-giving habits." (p. 62) He says that study is a prime example of this. In this new year, I am hoping to get into the habit of studying the Bible each day. I struggle with negative thoughts and emotions at times, and I know that God's word can be my greatest weapon against these things. My best friend and I have started a challenge for the year 2011 in memorizing 2 verses a month for this year. We keep each other accountable and check in at the beginning and middle of each month. I am on my second verse and I already am seeing results in my thought process. Even just focusing on one verse can be very powerful.

Foster writes about the four steps of study, and I have tried to use them in helping memorize my verses.
1. Repetition
2. Concentration
3. Comprehension
4. Reflection
In addition to applying these steps in memorizing my verses, I have been trying to apply it to my daily BIble reading. At the end of 2010, I had read through the Bible for the second time. However, once again, it was in huge chunks and not each day. I got into the bad habit of not reading for a few months and then catching up over a few weeks and then starting over again. Learning about study this month has really pushed me to strive to read the Bible each day. Reading huge chunks of the Bible at once leaves no room for concentration, comprehension and especially not reflection.

Foster also tells about how we should place high priority in the "interpretation" of scripture, not solely the "application" of it to our lives (p.69) Foster states that many people rush to the application stage. "They want to know what it means for them before they know what it means!" (p. 69) I pray God will help me this year to really soak in His word and focus on what it means as a whole, not just how it applies to me.

In addition to Scripture and other books of Christian literature, Foster talks about the study of "nonverbal" books. He begins by talking about nature saying merely we need to PAY ATTENTION. (p. 73) I can't even count all the times I have been so wrapped up in "life" or my to-do list that I have failed to notice the beautiful sunrise on my commute to work. Or I have missed a rainbow after a rainstorm because I am too busy complaining about my busy life. I am in great need of studying nature and just being out in God's creation with Him.

Foster also encourages us to study human relationships including ours with our family, friends and neighbors. He warns not to do this with judgment, but simply with the desire to learn. We should also study ourselves: "We should learn the things that control us. We observe our inner feelings and mood swings. What controls our moods? Why do we like certain people and dislike others? What do these things teach us about ourselves?" (p.75)

This chapter was very short, but full of great advice for training my mind and spirit. I pray God will continue to transform me and change my bad habits to good. Foster ends the chapter saying "study produces joy." I already have a joyful attitude toward most studying and I hope to grow it in my study of scripture, nature and people.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment