Monday, February 6, 2012

Daniel Fast - Take 2

Well, I'm a week into my month of food focus and it's going....alright. I decided to attempt the Daniel Fast again. I won't go into the details since I already blogged about it (you can check that out here if you are interested) but basically it's 3 weeks of eating only vegetables, fruit, brown rice, beans, nuts and only drinking water. Now, I have "pretty much" done this for the past 6 days. I cheated a bit this weekend since I finished the Cupid's Chase 5K in Georgetown and I wanted to celebrate at my favorite breakfast spot, Monument Cafe.

I have cheated a bit with dairy and sweets, but I have not had meat since last Tuesday. It's amazing how hard it is to take things out of your diet, but I'm finding it a little easier than last time. However, I feel like this time it's been a much greater mental battle than I remember. It's amazing how much food overtakes your mind and it's all you can think about. I tried to study in Starbucks yesterday and I had to leave basically because I wanted to knock the girl out next to me who had a tasty looking drink and a bagel with cream cheese. Not cool, Kim.

I'm hoping to learn balance through all of this. I want to be able to eat the things I love, but as my mother loves to say, "not in excess." That's my problem with food; I get something I love (example: a box of oreos) but instead of eating a small portion, I end up eating most of it in one sitting. I'm not even hungry at that point. And I always feel horrible afterwards.

One of my best friends Allison sent me a text the other day with this verse -

"Do not labor for the food that perishes but for the food that endures to eternal life, that the Son of Man will give you." John 6:27

This is what I want my focus to be this month. Actually, my focus for the rest of my life. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment