Summer is a wonderful time for me as a teacher - rest, rejuvenation, time with friends and family....but in addition to all these good things, there is much more time for one dangerous activity: shopping. For those of you who know me, shopping is one of my(if not THE) favorite activities. Some people find shopping boring or a horrendous chore to be avoided at all costs. Not me. I love it. It excites me and relaxes me. I don't think its a bad thing...in moderation. But I have come to notice that as I have begun to be on my own bank roll (instead of my Dad's) I have increased my shopping habit instead of decreasing it. I am good with money, don't get me wrong. I have a budget and I always pay my bills, but I definitely feel I overdo it at times. It is evident by my room and closet, which are both overflowing with stuff.
Now that I have more free time on my hands, I want to really evaluate what I am using my money for. God has graciously provided me with a job that more than meets my monetary needs. I could be doing so much more with my money than buying cute clothes or the next season of Dawson's Creek (yes, I am currently addicted to that show....no mocking please! hah!) I want to simplify my life. I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed with my belongings ( and that may have a lot to do with the fact I will be moving in 2 months) I want to downsize.
So my faithful readers, I am proclaiming to you that I want to reflect on what I have and how I can change my desire for material things. I want to find other ways to spend my time besides shopping. I"m not saying I'm going to give everything away and live life with only the clothes on my back. And I'm definitely not saying I will never go shopping again....I don't feel God telling me to go to that extreme. I do feel Him convicting me though and I ask for your prayers as I seek to change my habits.
Thanks for listening....or um, reading? :)
:)
ReplyDeleteKim - I love your honesty and transparency. Praying for you on the journey...
ReplyDeleteOh Kim, I feel you on this one. Why is it so hard to let go of stuff and the need to buy more stuff? It's just stuff. And for me (as I think it is with you) shopping is an outlet - a way to destress. And so it starts out as a good thing. But somewhere inside my motives a line gets crossed. Shopping becomes addicting. Stuff becomes addicting. And it's so frustrating to find myself in that place. All this to say, I am struggling too - and I'll be praying for you too :)
ReplyDelete