Foster writes that "the Christian Discipline of simplicity is an inward reality that results in an outward life-style." (p. 79) Foster writes about three inner attitudes and ten controlling principles for the outward expression of simplicity. He does warn that simplicity can turn into idolatry itself and legalism if taken too far. Balance is the key to achieving simplicity.
Foster emphasizes that "The central point for the Discipline of simplicity is to seek the kingdom of God and the righteousness of his kingdom FIRST and then everything necessary will come in its proper order." (p. 86) Our focal point must be God and His kingdom....not simplicity itself. "To receive what we have as a gift from God is the first inner attitude of simplicity...to know that it is God's business, and not ours, to care for what we have is the second inner attitude...[and] to have our goods available to others marks the third inner attitude of simplicity" (p. 88-89)
His list of outward expressions of simplicity were very inspiring and I have decided to use them as guidelines for my first month of study (and hopefully beyond this first month!):
1. Buy things for usefulness rather than status (p. 90)
2. Reject anything you have become addicted to (p. 90)
3. Get into the habit of giving things away (p.91)
4. Don't give into getting all the "new gadgets" (p.92)
5. Enjoy things without having to own them (p. 93)
6. Appreciate nature and God's creating (p.93)
7. Be wary of "buy now, pay later" schemes (p. 94)
8. Use "plain, honest speech" (p.94)
9. Don't buy or use anything that promotes oppression of others (p.95)
10. Get rid of anything that distracts you from seeking first the kingdom of God (p.96)
These are just guidelines of course, and as Foster warned, I don't want to take these too strictly. A couple goals I have for October are: 1. No shopping for myself besides groceries/toiletries. 2. Get rid of things I don't need/use 3. Look at what I spend my time doing/using and see if anything is an unhealthy addiction
I'll let you know how it is going at the end of the month. Thanks for reading!
I am so excited about following your journey! And I'm so proud of you for taking initiative! This first discipline, in particular, is very convicting for me. This is one of the biggest ways the enemy distracts me - by tempting me with the ways of the world. And I give in way too easily. I can't wait to see what God does in your life this month! I'll be praying for you!
ReplyDelete